Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to the questions we get asked most about these topics.






















DISCLAIMER: This page is for information purposes and does not apply to all situations/circumstances.


Who is STAMM Investments Limited?

STAMM Investments Limited is a Landlord that owns and manages over 800 units throughout the Kitchener-Waterloo Region. Our properties are conveniently located in Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario, with superb access to all amenities. Our residential units offer excellent value and include modern upgrades

How can I get in touch with STAMM?

We are here to help and answer questions you may have. Contact information for our residential locations is listed below:

301 & 315 Heritage Drive
(519) 578-5052

91 Franklin Street South
(519) 893-2182

160 - 170 Wissler Road
(519) 746-0430

188 Margaret Avenue
(519) 576-0631

If you wish to contact our administration head office, please click here. You'll be directed to our Contact Us page.

Back to top

Are building staff considered my Landlord?

No, building staff are not your Landlord. Members of our cleaning, maintenance, or Property Office staff may receive information or assist you with questions but cannot make decisions that bind the corporation. Please contact the Administration Office at: or send your request in writing to:

STAMM Investments Limited
319 Bridgeport Road East
Waterloo ON N2J 2K9

Approvals, authorizations, changes to conditions, and/or the provision of services associated with the Tenancy and/or Lease Agreement are provided by STAMM Investments Limited, in writing, on STAMM's official letterhead.

Per the Residential Tenancies Act:

Tenancy Agreement

Name and address in written agreement
12. (1) Every written tenancy agreement entered into on or after June 17 1998 shall set out the legal name and address of the landlord and be used for the purpose of giving notices or other documents under this Act. 2006, c. 17, s. 12 (1).

Back to top


What information do you need from me in order to apply for an apartment?

Renting need not be onerous but a Landlord does require sufficient information to ensure the applicant meets the criteria to rent the unit. We require the following documentation from each prospective leaseholder:

• Completed rental application (front and back);
• A piece of valid government issued photo ID;
• Proof of employment or income, such as:
    • A letter from your HR department and/or manager that states how long you've worked for the company and your earnings
    • A recent pay stub.
    • You may also submit proof of Government income, as applicable
• Completed pet and parking forms, as applicable.

Back to top

Do you require a last month's rent deposit?

Yes. The "Contract Deposit" stated on your rental application will become your "last month's rent deposit" when your application to rent is approved.

If you are over 55 years-old, you may qualify for our "No Last Month's Rent Deposit Program". In this case, only the first month's rent is required at the time of applying. Note that upon vacating, you will be responsible for paying rent for your final month of tenancy.

Contract Deposits and/or first month's rent are accepted in the form of:
• Money order
• Certified cheque
• Debit at the time of application.

Back to top

Do I need to pay a security deposit?

No. STAMM Investments Limited does not require a separate security deposit in addition to a rent deposit, in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act. Be advised that tenants are responsible for any damage to the unit during their tenancy.

The Residential Tenancies Act States:

Security deposits, limitation

105. (1) The only security deposit that a Landlord may collect is a rent deposit collected in accordance with section 106. 2006, c. 17, s. 105 (1).


(2) In this section and in section 106,

"security deposit" means money, property or a right paid or given by, or on behalf of, a tenant of a rental unit to a Landlord or to anyone on the Landlord's behalf to be held by or for the account of the Landlord as security for the performance of an obligation or the payment of a liability of the tenant or to be returned to the tenant upon the happening of a condition. 2006, c. 17 s. 105 (2).

Back to top

How long do applications take to process?

Rental applications are generally processed within 2 to 3 business days. The process may be delayed if the application is missing information or we are unable to confirm landlord or employment information. It is recommended that you advise your landlord and employment contacts, which you provided to STAMM, that we may be calling to confirm your personal information.

How will I find out whether or not my application has been approved or declined?

We will contact you by phone or email to let you know the status of your application. If an application is refused by the Landlord, all funds on deposit with the application will be returned to the applicant.

Back to top

Can I appeal my declined application?

If your application has been declined, in some cases, a co-signer/guarantor may be permitted if they meet the criteria.

Per the Residential Tenancies Act:

Selecting Prospective Tenants

10. In selecting prospective tenants, landlords may use, in the manner prescribed in the regulations made under the Human Rights Code, income information, credit checks, credit references, rental history, guarantees, or other similar business practices as prescribed in those regulations. 2006, c. 17, s. 10.

If my application is declined, do I get my rent deposit back?

Yes. If an application is declined by the Landlord, all funds on deposit with the application will be returned to the applicant, as set out by the Residential Tenancies Act.

What if I am approved but I change my mind about moving in?

Though rare, from time to time, people may wish to cancel their move in for a myriad of reasons. In the event a cancellation occurs, STAMM Investments Limited will advise you of your obligations at the time of the cancellation.

There is not a standard cancellation process, and requirements will change depending on when the applicant cancels and if the unit can be re-rented for the same rental date. If the unit cannot be re-rented for the same rental date, the applicant may remain responsible for the unit until it has been re-rented.

Back to top


I need something fixed in my unit. Who should do the repair?

STAMM Investments Limited is proud of its commitment to timely maintenance in each apartment. We have a number of full-time maintenance staff available to take care of routine maintenance work. In addition, we have a 24 hour Emergency Line for urgent issues that cannot wait until the next business day.

Routine Maintenance:

Routine Maintenance is identified as maintenance that is expected to be done on a semi-regular basis within a residential unit. An example of routine maintenance is: changing tap cartridges (fix leaky tap), or replacing the flush handle on a toilet.

Routine maintenance is requested by the resident using a Maintenance Work Order (see MWO section) and is performed by our staff during regular business hours. Routine maintenance is usually completed within 3 business days of receipt of the request unless parts are required, a contractor is required, and/or there are extenuating circumstances.

Maintenance Work Order (MWO):

The legal tenant of the unit must fill in, sign, and submit a MWO to the Property Office for maintenance and repairs required in his or her apartment. The Tenant keeps the top page of the MWO for their own records. Approved maintenance and repairs are usually completed within 3 business days of a Tenant's written request, unless parts have to be ordered or a technician cannot be scheduled within this time frame. A blank Maintenance Work Order (MWO) may be picked up from the Property Office or in your building's laundry room. Alternatively, you can click here to submit a maintenance request online.

Back to top

Is there a charge for maintenance in my unit?

Per the Residential Tenancies Act, maintenance as a result of normal wear and tear is provided free by the Landlord. If a repair is required as a result of damage by the tenant and/or a guest you may be held financially accountable for the damages and the cost to repair them.

The Residential Tenancies Act states:

Landlord's responsibility to repair

20. (1) A landlord is responsible for providing and maintaining a residential complex, including the rental units in it, in a good state of repair and fit for habitation and for complying with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards. 2006, c. 17, s. 20 (1).

Back to top

I accidentally broke something. Should I come forward about it?

Yes, a tenant is responsible to report any repairs required. STAMM will determine and make repairs and will bill you for the repair. Failure to have repairs made may cause unexpected damage within your unit or another unit which could be costly and charged to you, as the legal tenant, as a result of failure to adequately care for the unit. In most cases, repairs for accidents are a minor cost. It's better to get it fixed right away than to risk a greater expense later. Simply complete a Maintenance Work Order and we'll come take a look.

The Residential Tenancies Act states:

Tenant's responsibility for repair of damage

34.The tenant is responsible for the repair of undue damage to the rental unit or residential complex caused by the wilful or negligent conduct of the tenant, another occupant of the rental unit or a person permitted in the residential complex by the tenant. 2006, c. 17, s. 34.

How can I report maintenance needed in common areas?

If you notice there's an issue in common areas, we recommend you complete a Maintenance Work Order (MWO). We'll review the problem and address it as necessary.

Back to top


Are your buildings pet friendly?

Yes. We ask all new applicants to submit pet forms identifying basic information (weight, age, breed) at the time of applying. Additionally, if you adopt a pet after you've been approved and move in, please complete a pet form so we can update your record. Pet forms can be found at your Property Office as well as on our forms page.

Please note that pets deemed illegal by the federal and/or provincial government are not permitted on the premises.

Back to top

What can be done about pets in the building that are causing problems?

All written complaints received are validated and investigated. If a pet is causing a problem, please file a written complaint with the Property Office and we will review the complaint. All complaints must be signed and/or submitted by the legal tenant of the unit.

Note: in order for a complaint to be acted on, it must be valid. This means the pet must be causing an issue, not simply existing. For example, a complaint that the neighbour has a cat would not be a valid complaint as there is no indication that the pet is interfering with the reasonable enjoyment of the unit. STAMM Investments Limited will only address complaints related to pets where behaviour of concern is verified.

Please remember that all complaints must be submitted in writing with contact information for the person identifying the concern.

Back to top

What can be done about people not cleaning up after their pets?

At STAMM Investments Limited, we endeavour to provide clean and well-kept grounds as well as clean and properly maintained common areas at each and every property. If you notice someone not cleaning up after their pet, either inside or outside, please report it and any details you can provide about the pet and/or owner, in writing, to your Property Office or our administration office via email at:, and we will investigate the issue.

Note: If you are found to be a pet owner that has failed to clean up after your pet, permits the animal to run loose on the grounds or in the building and/or allows the pet to disturb the quiet enjoyment of other residents in their units, you may be held responsible for costs associated with damage caused by the pet and/or other remedies including eviction.

Back to top

Can I be evicted for my pet's behaviour and/or my pet-related behaviour?

You can be evicted for permitting a pet to cause damage or disturb others. In most cases, Tenants will be given an opportunity to correct their behaviour and/or their pet's behaviour; however, if the issues continue the Landlord may take action to evict the tenant in order to resolve the issue.


Is smoking within my unit permitted?

Smoking, within reason, is permitted within the confines of the rental unit unless otherwise identified in writing. STAMM Investments Limited does not currently offer "no smoking" apartments.

Smoking that interferes with the reasonable enjoyment of others within the rental building will be addressed and the tenant may be responsible to take measures to control the smoke from infiltrating the hallway and/or other units, should complaints occur.

Please be advised that smoke may also cause damage within a rental unit due to discoloration of walls, ceilings, appliances, etc. and any damage within the unit is the responsibility of the tenant and/or guarantor/co-signer as applicable.

In the case that residents choose to smoke in their units, we recommend purchasing an air purification appliance to assist with controlling smoke and other vapours associated with smoking.

Back to top

What can I do about smoke entering my unit?

Smoke infiltration into a unit is something STAMM takes very seriously. All written complaints with respect to smoke entering a unit are validated, investigated and handled on a case-by-case basis. However, STAMM doesn't offer "no smoking" units and some contact with smoke can be anticipated by any resident living in a STAMM property.

Where can I smoke while I'm at the building?

Residents are permitted to smoke within their rental unit as well as on the balcony of the unit providing the action does not interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of other residents at the Property.

Residents are not permitted to smoke in common areas of the building, the lobby, or the stairwells. Residents caught in violation will be held responsible and can face fines from local bylaw of up to $5,000.

Smoking on the grounds of the building is permitted providing you remain at least 25 feet away from any entry/egress and/or window to reduce the potential of smoke infiltration into the building and/or people's homes.

Back to top

Can I be evicted if my smoking bothers others?

Yes. Action may be taken against any resident for activities that interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of others within the rental unit. In a residential setting such as Stamm Investments Limited properties, it is recommended that all tenants are tolerant of other residents and also ensure that their activities do not interfere with the rights of others.

Back to top


What can I do about my noisy neighbours?

All written complaints received are validated and investigated. If you believe the noise you're hearing is excessive and not regular life sounds, please submit your complaint in writing. You can also submit your complaint online by clicking here.

In order for a complaint to be acted on, it must be valid. That means the noise must be excessive and for an unreasonable duration. For example, a complaint that the neighbour was banging on the wall for 15 minutes at 7 p.m. on a one time occurrence would not be a valid complaint as the noise was not excessive, was likely as a result of normal living such as hanging pictures, and was not an unreasonable duration.

However, if the complaint is regarding loud music from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. and the sounds of a party, that is a complaint that may be excessive and of unreasonable duration. In the event of an excessively noisy neighbour, a party, or a domestic dispute, we strongly recommend residents refrain from approaching the tenants making the noise and call local bylaw enforcement or the Police instead.

Be aware that STAMM Investments Limited can only address noise complaints after the fact. Should a tenant need immediate response, the best option is to contact the Police.

Back to top

I recently received a notice of noise complaint from STAMM. What should I do?

If you've recently received a noise complaint, it will identify what kind of noise has been reported coming from your unit. The noise complaint will also identify remedies for the noise.

Please take these noise complaints seriously and remember to respect the needs of neighbours around you. In the event that you fail to take the necessary steps to reduce the level of noise emitting from your unit, we may pursue further action to ensure each and every resident has the right to reasonable enjoyment of their unit.

Can I be evicted for being too noisy?

Yes. Rarely does a tenant create such havoc that they need to be evicted. Most tenants are reasonable and once notified that they are disturbing others they change their behaviour. If necessary, STAMM Investments Limited can apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board to evict a tenant for excessive noise that interferes with other tenants' legal right to reasonably enjoy their unit.

Back to top


How can I file a complaint?

All complaints must be submitted to us in writing. Leaving a voice message or telling a passing member of staff does not constitute a valid compliant. All complaints must be received in writing. You may drop off a letter at the Property Office or email your complaint to: You can also complete an online complaint here.

Please identify yourself in your complaint. Anonymous complaints will not be accepted and will not be reviewed by any staff member. Include your unit number and name.

With reference to maintenance complaints, we kindly ask that you submit a Maintenance Work Order for issues pertaining to maintenance. This will allow our maintenance staff to properly perform the required maintenance.

Back to top

Will STAMM tell my neighbour it was me who complained?

No. While we do not accept anonymous complaints, we keep the complaint's source confidential when addressing issues with others. The only time the written complaint may be needed is if the case goes before the Landlord Tenant Board and then all identifying information from the complainant is removed for privacy.

What should I do if I receive a letter of complaint from STAMM?

We understand that sometimes receiving a complaint can be alarming. You should read the letter sent to you thoroughly and review the remedies we are recommending. Feel free to contact us at the number provided on the letter to discuss the complaint.

Back to top

Can I be evicted because of complaints?

Being evicted due to complaints can occur, but this would be based on the severity and the nature of the complaints. If a resident and/or their guest are doing some form of illegal activity, intentionally damaging the unit and/or premises, or interfering with the reasonable enjoyment for other tenants, the chances of being evicted increase.

In most cases, the tenant has an opportunity to correct their behaviour and if further complaints do not occur then there is no need for STAMM to follow up with any action.

Back to top


How can I remove someone who doesn't live here anymore from my lease?

If someone is moving out of your unit, please contact us in writing about the next steps. Each situation is different and there is not a single solution.

Someone new is living with me. How do I add them as a Resident?

If you have a new, full-time, occupant moving into or already living in your unit with you, please see the Property Office to complete an AdD Occupant form. You can also print this form off by clicking here. Note that if your new occupant requires parking, they will need to provide a copy of their driver's licence and parking can only be accommodated if there is sufficient parking available and the parking request meets our program specifications.

Does my new roommate have to be on the lease?

Your roommate does not need to be added to your lease but you should add them as an occupant. You should report anybody living in your unit full-time. You can add your new roommate solely as an occupant of the unit or they can, with your written authorization, apply to be a leaseholder of the unit. The choice is yours.

What is the difference between my roommate being an occupant and a lease holder?

The primary difference between the two is how much authority they have when it comes to making administrative decisions with respect to your account. Adding a new occupant as opposed to a leaseholder will limit the authority they have over the rental agreement.

Adding someone as a leaseholder means that they will have full authority over certain aspects of the rental agreement such as requesting maintenance or making other administrative changes.

Be advised that all significant changes will require signatures of all leaseholders. For example, one leaseholder cannot give notice to vacate on behalf of all leaseholders in the unit.

Back to top


What happens if I don’t pay my rent on the 1st of the month?

Your rent is due on the first day of the month, every month. If you fail to make your rent payment in full on the 1st day of the month, your rent is considered late and you’ll receive a warning letter followed by further action if the rent remains unpaid.

What happens if I don’t pay my rent by the 3rd or 4th of the month?

If your rent remains unpaid by the 3rd or 4th day of the month, you may receive a warning letter from us identifying the amount that remains outstanding. The letter goes on to explain the consequences of failing to pay your rent as well as the action we may take to ensure the rent is collected.

What happens if my rent remains unpaid?

If your rent remains late and unpaid, you will receive an N4 Form. An N4 Form is a legal document from the Landlord and Tenant Board and is the first step in the eviction process. You should read the information in the N4 date carefully.

The due date on the N4 Form has passed and my rent remains unpaid. What’s going to happen?

If your rent remains unpaid after the due date on the N4 Form, an application will be made with the Landlord and Tenant Board and a formal hearing will be scheduled. The Landlord and Tenant Board will mail all parties a copy of the “Notice of Hearing”. Costs incurred for such applications will be charged to the tenant.

I received a Notice of Hearing. What can I do to avoid the hearing?

If your rent remains unpaid after the due date on the N4 Form, an application will be made with the Landlord and Tenant Board and a formal hearing will be scheduled. The Landlord and Tenant Board will mail all parties a copy of the “Notice of Hearing”. Costs incurred for such applications will be charged to the tenant.

It is best to contact the Property Office or our Collections Department to find out the exact amount you’re required to pay in order to cancel the hearing.

I need to make a payment arrangement. Will STAMM accept this?

STAMM understands that situations arise and the rent may be paid late. If you find yourself in a situation where you are unable to pay your rent in full and/or on time, it is recommended that you contact our Collections Department to see if an arrangement can be made.

I dropped off a personal cheque for my rent on the 10th. Why was it sent back to me?

At STAMM Investments Limited, we do not accept personal cheques after the 7th of the month and you will need to pay your late rent through the other channels we accept.

Back to top


Am I allowed to change my unit door's locks myself?

No. Changing unit locks without permission or adding additional locks to the unit door is not permitted. See the section below from the Residential Tenancies Act.

In the event of an emergency or for inspections and/or maintenance, STAMM Investments Limited requires access to your unit. If you have changed the locks without our knowledge, we will not be able to access your unit. In the event of an emergency, entry to the unit may be performed by police and any subsequent costs will be forwarded to you.

If you wish to have your unit locks changed, please submit a Maintenance Work Order to your Property Office. In most circumstances, there is a cost to have unit locks changed.

The Residential Tenancies Act states:

Changing locks

35. (1) A tenant shall not alter the locking system on a door giving entry to a rental unit or residential complex or cause the locking system to be altered during the tenants' occupancy of the rental unit without the consent of the landlord. 2006, c. 17, s. 35 (1).

Back to top


Can I paint my unit?

If you wish to paint your unit, please submit a written request, along with paint samples, to your Property Office. We will review the request and respond, in writing, within 2 weeks.

It is important to note that upon vacating, you must restore the unit walls and trim to the original colour. The original colour is not white, so you must see the Property Office for further information. A paint sample will be supplied for the purpose of colour matching.

Failure to repaint the unit upon vacate will result in all associated painting costs being charged to you.

Back to top

Can I install shelves or affix other items to the walls in my unit?

If you wish to install a fixture to the walls and/or ceiling of the unit, please submit a written request to your Property Office. Our administration office will respond in writing.

Be advised that in the event your request is approved, you will be responsible for restoring the unit to its original condition. Failure to do so may result in any associated labour, repair, painting, or other costs being forwarded to you, the legal tenant.

Am I allowed to screen in the balcony and/or patio of the unit?

As with most requests involving making modifications to the unit, we require a written request, submitted to your Property Office. Our administration office will reply to you, in writing, either approving or declining the request.

Back to top

Can I use my own fridge and/or stove (oven)?

If you are moving to a unit and wish to use your own fridge and/or stove, the appliances you are bringing must meet the following:

1. Fit within the spacing limitations without requiring any modifications
2. Align with plumbing and/or power requirements without requiring any modifications to those existing

If you wish to use your own appliances, please notify us in writing and we will respond giving you permission, as applicable, as well as further instructions.

Please be aware that a request such as this does not constitute a loss of service and no rent abatement will be provided for your choice to use your own appliances.

Back to top

Am I allowed to use a portable appliance (dishwasher, laundry equipment, heater, etc.)?

Portable dishwashers and laundry equipment are not permitted within the residential units.

Should you wish to use a different type of portable appliance, including air conditioners, please put your request in writing including the details of the appliance and we will advise.

The use of additional refrigerators, freezers, portable heaters, and electric fireplaces is approved and/or declined on a case-by-case basis. Please submit a request in writing if you wish to use additional appliances within the rental unit.

As a general rule of thumb, when interested in adding an appliance of any kind to the unit, please submit a request in writing first.

Can I install an AC unit?

Consent to install an air-conditioner is required prior to the installation of any air-conditioning device that has both an internal and external facing or fixture.

Please ensure you put your request in writing and that you receive written consent for the installation of such a device prior to the installation and use of the device.

If you currently have an air conditioner or will acquire one in the near future, you are required by STAMM Investments Limited to provide proof of public liability insurance.

Back to top


Is there a charge for parking?

All outdoor parking is $25/month.

Underground parking prices vary by parking designation which is based on proximity to building door, size of space, convenience of access, and other elements.

Back to top

Is there a fee for lockers?

Yes. Fees for locker use depend on the size of locker you wish to have. For current information regarding locker fees and availability, please see the Property Office.

Is there a fee for use of the fitness facilities?

Fitness Facility access is free to new residents on a 12 month lease or for residents that participate in a promotional offer that comes in exchange for a new lease term. At the end of the lease, yes, there is a fee. We offer different types of memberships (individual or family) and offer programs for 6 or 12 months. Fees are nominal but documentation for the user members is required. For the most current information, please see your Property Office.

Back to top

I locked myself out of my unit. Is there a charge to let me in?

Yes. In the event that you lock yourself out of the building and/or unit and require STAMM's assistance with letting you in, there is a non-negotiable service fee due within 3 business days of providing you with access to your unit.

Is there a cost for a FOB replacement?

Yes. A FOB is provided free of charge to each named resident 14 years of age and older at the time of possession of the unit. If additional FOBs are required, they can be purchased for a fee.

In the event that your FOB has been lost or stolen, please contact our administration office at 519-884-3010 to report it. Next, see your Property Office to request a replacement FOB. There is a cost to replace a lost or stolen FOB.

If you require a FOB for someone who is not a resident of your unit (house cleaner, family member, care taker, etc.), there is a fee for a "non-resident" FOB.

Back to top

Is there a cost for a new unit key?

Yes. If you need a replacement unit key there is a nominal cost; please see the Property Office.

Is there a cost for a new mailbox key

Yes. In the event that you need a new mailbox key, there is a small charge; please see the Property Office.

Back to top


Are satellite dishes allowed?
No. As of November 1, 2017, no new Satellite Dish installations are permitted. With the installation of both Rogers Cable and Bell Fibe at the buildings residents have a choice on how to obtain internet and television services. As such, permission to install Satellite Dishes is being phased out at all our properties.

Back to top


Can I end my lease and move out early?

Your lease is a contract that is non-voidable. If you need to vacate the unit and are on a lease, it is important that you provide such information, in writing, to your Property Office immediately. Assigning a lease to another interested party is the best option for a tenant to end their lease early. Information will be provided to you upon written request.

Improper Notice To Vacate

If you are not on a lease, you are still required to give 60 days' written notice to vacate. Your vacate date is accepted to the last day of the month (rental period). For example, you cannot give notice to vacate on the 15th of January and vacate on the 15th of March. Your vacate date will be March 31st. Per the Residential Tenancies Act:

(8) If a tenant has assigned a rental unit to another person, the tenancy agreement continues to apply on the same terms and conditions and,

(a) the assignee is liable to the landlord for any breach of the tenant's obligations and may enforce against the landlord any of the landlord's obligations under the tenancy agreement or this Act, if the breach or obligation relates to the period after the assignment, whether or not the breach or obligation also related to a period before the assignment;

(b) the former tenant is liable to the landlord for any breach of the tenant's obligations and may enforce against the landlord any of the landlord's obligations under the tenancy agreement or this Act, if the breach or obligation relates to the period before the assignment;

(c) if the former tenant has started a proceeding under this Act before the assignment and the benefits or obligations of the new tenant may be affected, the new tenant may join in or continue the proceeding. 2006, c. 17, s. 95 (8).

Back to top

What is the difference between an assignment and a sublet?

The primary difference between assigning your lease and subletting your unit is the duration of time you intend to leave the unit. If you intend to return and resume living in your unit, you are subletting. If you intend to leave the unit permanently and want someone to take over not only the unit but also the lease of the unit, you are assigning.

When a unit/lease is assigned, you must move all your items out of the unit, turn your keys over to the new tenant, and you are no longer responsible for fulfilling the remaining time in your lease. You may, however, be held responsible for damages done to your unit during your tenancy. The new tenants then receive your keys and take over the lease.

When a unit/lease is sublet, it identifies that you are essentially "lending" your unit to someone for a specified period of time. You effectively become their Landlord and there is no transfer of responsibility for the unit. That means that if the individual(s) you sublet the unit to end up damaging the unit, you will be held responsible for said damages. With sublets, the individual(s) who move into your unit do not have authority and are not able to request maintenance or make administrative changes to your account. The legal tenant must also continue to pay the rent each month to the Landlord.

Back to top

What are the associated costs with assigning my unit?

There are small administrative costs to cover STAMM's expenses to review applications and check credit associated with assigning and/or subletting your unit. Please refer to the documentation sent to you in response to your written request to assign and/or sublet.

Back to top


What should I use the emergency line for?

The 24/7 Emergency Line has been implemented to provide residents with a number to call, in the event of an emergency, at any time on any date. Call the emergency line in the event of:

• A heavy water leak in the unit
• Extended time without power if the rest of the building/neighbourhood has power
• Total loss of heat
• Fire at the building (please call 9-1-1 first)
• If you're locked out of the unit - a fee will apply
• Total loss of hot water
• Total stoppage of plumbing
• Carbon monoxide and/or gas leaks (please call 9-1-1 first)

Please note that when in doubt, the Emergency Line exists. Call and you will be notified if what you are calling for is an emergency or not.

Please do NOT call the Emergency Line for:

• Account or other rent payment issues
• Parking issues
• Noise complaints - call bylaw or the Police
• Problems with air conditioning
• Cool drafts or the unit is cooler than you would like (or hotter)
• Minor maintenance requests
• Pet problems
• General rental inquiries

Back to top

What happens to people who abuse the emergency line?

Tenants who repeatedly call the Emergency Line for non-emergencies will be warned that their behaviour must cease. In the event that warnings go ignored, further action may result including any costs associated with using the emergency line or the dispatch of personnel as a result of the call.

Back to top


I recently received a notice to terminate my tenancy. What should I do?

Read the notice carefully to understand why you received it and what the notice is about. If you are unsure, call or email using the contact information supplied on the form for further information. Be aware that simply moving out on the Notice to Terminate date may not reduce your obligation to pay rent and/or honour the lease terms. In all cases, it is best to mediate with the Landlord to mitigate any loss to you.

Back to top

I received a notice of hearing with a court date. What should I do?

If you have received a Notice of Hearing, you are encouraged to take the necessary action to ensure you can either attend the hearing and/or void the hearing by complying with the requirements on the Notice of Hearing you received. Be aware that simply moving out on the Notice to Terminate date may not reduce your obligation to pay rent and/or honour the lease terms. In all cases, it is best to mediate with the Landlord to mitigate any loss to you.

For further information, you may call the Landlord and Tenant Board and/or the contact information supplied on the Notice of Hearing you receive.

Back to top


Why does STAMM have such a strict Parking Policy?

At STAMM Investments Limited, our priority is providing services for our tenants. Imagine coming home after a long day of work to find the parking lot full of vehicles and not an open parking spot to be had. How frustrated would you be? This is why we have a strict parking policy and try to ensure compliance.

Our goal is to ensure that tenants can always find parking and as such, only valid and permitted vehicles are allowed to park in the lots, except for the few designated visitor parking spots. We strive for 100% compliance and continue to work toward this goal.

Unregistered occupants and/or visitors will not be eligible to receive a parking sticker and must park in visitor parking. Visitor parking is permitted a maximum of 3 nights per week and only when space is available. If there is not an available visitor space in the lot, the visitor may park on the street in accordance with local by-laws.

We do our best to monitor the parking lots so that each resident can find parking. For more information, please see our PARKING POLICY.

Back to top

I recently got a parking ticket and/or my vehicle was towed. Why?

Vehicles that are ticketed and/or towed are done so because they are in violation of one or more elements of the STAMM Investments Limited PARKING POLICY.

Why can't my frequent visitor/guest get a parking sticker?

STAMM Investments Limited provides its registered, full-time residents with parking as available and in accordance with our policies. Visitor parking is available a maximum of 3 consecutive days and/or nights per week, when space is available.

Visitors will not be provided with a parking sticker and/or temporary parking pass because they are not registered, full-time residents of a STAMM Investments Limited unit. Exceptions are not made as parking priority is for our tenants.

For further information, please refer to our PARKING POLICY

Back to top


Does STAMM have any special offers for long-term tenants?

We offer our long-term tenants a number of different programs and upgrades, subject to written request and an approval process. We generally only approve a single request at a time. In some cases, a lease is required to confirm continued commitment to the rental unit. The current Upgrade Program offers (subject to change without further notice):

• Occupied unit carpet cleaning
• Flooring upgrades with lease
• Kitchen upgrades for original cabinetry
• Appliance replacement upgrades
• Free underground parking with lease

For further information, please see our upgrades page

Back to top

How long is "long-term"?

For all of the above mentioned upgrades EXCEPT the free underground and no rent increase promotions, you must be a resident in good standing who has lived with us for more than 3 years. The Free Underground Parking offer and No Rent Increase Offer may be offered to residents that have resided with us for at least one year.

I'm a long-term tenant, but my request for an upgrade was declined. Why?

There are several reasons a long-term tenant’s upgrade request may be declined. In most cases, the request is unavailable either due to:

• Current flooring/fixture/appliance is in good condition and not at the end of its normal life expectancy;
• Tenant account is not in good standing;
• Requested work will disrupt living in the unit for too long to perform upgrade.

If your request was declined, we will explain the reason(s).

Back to top

How can I request a long-term upgrade?

If you're interested in requesting an upgrade, please submit the request in writing to the Property Office. Our administration office will review the request and contact you.

Otherwise, you can complete the upgrade request form on our Upgrades page.

Back to top


What options are available for me to pay my rent?

At STAMM Investments Limited, we offer flexibility to meet your needs. You can pay your rent in the following ways:

• Pre-Authorized Funds Transfer (Automatic debit from the account you provide)
• Debit in your Property Office
• Online banking
• Certified cheque
• Money order

Back to top

Why can't I pay with cash?

STAMM Investments Limited offers several options for paying rent. We do not accept cash as a company-wide policy. See above for alternative rent payment options.

What is the benefit to me when I use Pre-Authorized Funds Transfer?

Pre-Authorized Funds Transfer (PAFT) is the most efficient method to pay your monthly rent. Not only will PAFT save you personal time every month (you won't have to go online or visit the Property Office to pay rent), PAFT is also the most accurate method to pay your monthly rent, since the exact rent amount owing for that month is pulled directly from your bank account on the first business day of each month. Your rental account will always be in good standing!

PAFT is the Cadillac of rent payment options and we urge all tenants to sign up. See your Property Office for more details!

Back to top

How can I set up online banking rent payments?

Setting up online banking payments is as easy as 1, 2, 3!

1. Login to your online banking, select pay bills, and add a new payee
2. For "payee name", add Stamm Investments Limited
3. You'll be asked for your account number. Please contact us and we'll be happy to provide you with your unique account number with STAMM.

How long does PAFT take to initialize?

Your PAFT forms and void cheque/withdrawal form must be received a minimum of 2 weeks before the 1st of the month.

For example, If you wish for your December 1 rent to be automatically withdrawn, you must submit your forms no later than November 15.

Back to top


How much notice do I need to provide when I want to move out?

Per the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA), notice to vacate must be given, in writing, a minimum of 60 days in advance to the end of a given rental period on or after which the lease term has expired. See below.

For example. If you give notice on 8th of October 2015, you will be responsible for your unit until 31st of December 2015 if your lease ended on or before 31 December 2015.

If you give notice on 8th of October 2015 but your lease term does not end until 31st of March 2016, then your legal vacate date will be 31st of March 2016, which is the end of your lease term.

The Residential Tenancies Act states:

Period of notice, monthly tenancy

(3) A notice under section 47, 58 or 144 to terminate a yearly tenancy shall be given at least 60 days before the date the termination is specified to be effective and that date shall be on the last day of a yearly period on which the tenancy is based. 2006, c. 17, s. 44 (3)

Back to top

If I need to move out before the last day of the month, what happens?

As soon as you find out you'll be moving out, provide us with 60 days' written notice from the end of the month prior to vacate.

Keep in mind that vacating early is entirely your choice and as such, you will not be refunded any rent for days the unit has been vacant, nor will leaving early relieve you of any obligation under your lease. Additionally, utilities (if applicable) will remain in your name until your legal vacate date.

The Residential Tenancies Act states:

Period of notice, monthly tenancy

(2) A notice under section 47, 58 or 144 to terminate a monthly tenancy shall be given at least 60 days before the date the termination is specified to be effective and that date shall be on the last day of a rental period. 2006, c. 17, s. 44 (2).

Have a question we didn't answer here? click here to get in touch with us

Back to top


As a responsible Landlord, Stamm Investments Limited takes every reasonable precaution to safeguard our resident(s) safety including:

• Clearing snow and ice in a timely manner,
• Salting slippery areas,
• and educating residents about hazards and how to reduce the risks.

While a Landlord can take steps to clear away snow and ice, snow and ice will still exist, as is expected during a Canadian winter.

Stamm Investments Limited wishes to remind all residents to take extra precautions in winter weather to reduce the risk of slip, trip, and falls that may cause injury. As you are aware, our Canadian winters offer an abundance of risk including:

• Snow, snow banks,
• Ice, black ice, and slippery surfaces, and
• Difficult walking and driving conditions.

It is the individual's responsibility to take appropriate personal safeguards to prevent injury. Winter driving can be risky, so be prepared.

More Information:

Back to top